[Pacemaker] A few questions

Ryan Steele ryans at aweber.com
Wed May 20 15:09:30 EDT 2009

Hey folks,

Been toying with OpenAIS and Pacemaker for a day or two, and I have a
few questions that I couldn't find verbiage on in the documentation,
which I hope some wiser minds might be able to answer.

1.  Is there a bug in crm_attribute, specifically with --attr-name (-n)?
  I can't seem to get it to return values for any key, though I'm
certain they exist:

root:~$ pengine metadata | grep "parameter name" | awk -F\" '{print $2}'
no-quorum-policy
symmetric-cluster
stonith-enabled
stonith-action
stonith-timeout
startup-fencing
default-resource-stickiness
is-managed-default
maintenance-mode
cluster-delay
batch-limit
stop-all-resources
default-action-timeout
stop-orphan-resources
stop-orphan-actions
remove-after-stop
pe-error-series-max
pe-warn-series-max
pe-input-series-max
start-failure-is-fatal

root:~$ crm_attribute -V -G -n cluster-delay
  name=cluster-delay value=(null)
Error performing operation: The object/attribute does not exist
root:~$ crm_attribute -V -G -n batch-limit
  name=cluster-delay value=(null)
Error performing operation: The object/attribute does not exist

...so on and so forth; they all respond similarly.

2.  Is there a need for better documentation?  The 87-page PDF
"Pacemaker Configuration Explained" seems to be missing some
OpenAIS-centric information, despite the fact that there seems to be a
big push for folks to use OpenAIS instead of Heartbeat.  For example, in
the "Cluster Nodes" chapter, under the "Removing a Cluster Node"
section, the OpenAIS instructions are simply 'TBA', and step 4 in the
"Replacing a Cluster Node" section for OpenAIS is blank.  It seems
counter-intuitive to be missing documentation for the piece of software
in the pair that's supposed to usurp the other's position.

There also seems to be no good entry point for folks who desire an
active/passive failover pair.  I believe it's instrumental to be able to
get a simple example working, so one can test and build out from there,
  but most of the documentation examples are just snippets of larger
configurations which nobody will have at the get-go.  I'm happy to
contribute some basic examples once I've wrapped my head around them,
and contribute some of the missing pieces once I know what to write, but
I also wouldn't mind if someone (anyone) more familiar with the software
would like to do the same to help speed up the learning curve/adoption
rate for those of us still acclimating.

Thanks,
Ryan