[Pacemaker] difference between anonymous and globally unique clone

Andrew Beekhof beekhof at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 03:58:58 EDT 2009

2009/3/30 Glory Smith <xx2glory at gmail.com>:

>> No.
>> Neither type of resource allows you to place a specific instance on a
>> particular node, this is by design.
>
> That means we cant control any clone  resource on individual node. either
> all instances can be started or  all can be stopped.

Not exactly.
You can still create a location constraint that prevents all instances
of the clone from running on that node (but allow it to remain active
elsewhere).

>> The difference is that anonymous clones only allow you to have one
>> instance per node.
>> Internally, this allows the PE to make certain assumptions when
>> managing the resource.
>
>  now things are clear.  Thanks a lot for you enlightening answers.  could
> you please help me to understand stateful clone also. i read somewhere that
> we use it for data replication purpose by syncing slave with master.  is
> there any other use of it.

Anything that has two mode of operation might want to make use of
stateful clones (aka. master/slave resources).
Pacemaker is deliberately ignorant of what the two states mean to the
resource, simply implement demote() and promote() to do whatever
relevant for your service.