[Pacemaker] Using pacemaker for service startup / single node cluster ?

Robert Heinzmann (ml) reg at elconas.de
Thu Aug 14 18:45:14 EDT 2008

Hi,

actually this seems like a dumb question but I will ask it anyhow.
Theres a separation between Heartbeat and Pacemaker on the code level
now. Heartbeat does "multinode things" and Pacemaker does "service
things". So from my understanding it would be great to use Pacemaker as
init replacement or for the controlled start and monitoring of services
on a single server system.

Advantage:
- single code base for init script in clustered and non clustered
environment.
- same user interface for clustered and non clustered systems
--> more cluster agents and wider test base

Now to the question: Is is possible with the current Pacemaker design to
use Pacemaker as Init replacement or "clever" service control deaemon ?
Is is on the Roadmap or fully out of the scope of the project ?

Is it possible to enable Pacemaker to fully Manually control it - aka no
automatic actions, every transition confirmed by the administrator ?

Regards,
Robert