[ClusterLabs Developers] Pacemaker 2.1.0: Should we rename the master branch?

Andrew Price anprice at redhat.com
Tue Oct 20 13:26:04 EDT 2020

[CC+ cluster-devel]

On 19/10/2020 23:59, Ken Gaillot wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-10-19 at 07:19 +0200, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
>> Hi Ken,

>> No objections to the change, but please let´s coordinate the change
>> across all HA projects at once, or CI is going to break badly as the
>> concept of master branch is embedded everywhere and not per-project.
>
> Presumably this would be all the projects built by jenkins?
>
>   booth
>   corosync
>   fence-agents
>   fence-virt
>   knet
>   libqb
>   pacemaker
>   pcs
>   qdevice
>   resource-agents
>   sbd
>
> Maintainers, do you think that's practical and desirable?

If the ClusterLabs projects switch together I might take the opportunity
to make the switch in gfs2-utils.git at the same time, for consistency.

> Is there a single name that makes sense for all projects? "next",
> "development" or "unstable" captures how pacemaker uses master, not
> sure about other projects. "main" is generic enough for all projects,
> but so generic it doesn't give an idea of how it's used. Or we could go
> for something distinctive like fedora's "rawhide" or suse's
> "tumbleweed".

"main" works for me, it seems to be the most widely adopted alternative
thanks to Github, so its purpose will be clear by convention. That said,
it doesn't matter too much as long as the remote HEAD is set to the new
branch.

Another question is how to do the switch without causing confusion the
next time someone pulls. It might be safest to simply create the main
branch and delete the master branch (rather than, say, replacing all of
the content in master with an explanatory note). That way a 'git pull'
gives a hint of the change and no messy conflicts:

   $ git pull
   From /tmp/gittest/upstream
    * [new branch]      main       -> origin/main
   Your configuration specifies to merge with the ref 'refs/heads/master'
   from the remote, but no such ref was fetched.

Maybe also push a 'master_is_now_main' tag annotated with 'use git
branch -u origin/main to fix tracking branches'. Or maybe that's
excessive :)

Cheers,
Andy