[ClusterLabs Developers] How to implement fencing agent with no associated hardware device with Pacemaker?

Philippe M Stedman pmstedma at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 29 18:53:40 EDT 2020

Hi ClusterLabs developers,

I am looking into how to develop a fencing agent for Pacemaker that is not
associated to any underlying hardware device. In our case we have two
servers (we will expand to more in the future) which have access to shared
storage. When one of the two nodes fails, we expect the surviving node to
invoke our user-defined fencing agent and run a  series of commands which
will "expel" the lost host from accessing shared storage.

Do you have any advice on how to go about implementing such a solution? All
the examples I can find online revolve around using some sort of underlying
hardware device to implement fencing.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil Stedman
Db2 High Availability Development and Support
Email: pmstedma at us.ibm.com