[ClusterLabs Developers] Notify actions

Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais jgdr at dalibo.com
Wed Feb 12 10:03:42 EST 2020

Hello devs,

I have a few questions about notify action.

1. notify clone option

Why a clone option exist to enable or disable them, and why is it false by
default?

As notify is an action, I suppose it should be enabled by default if the RA
claim to support it in its meta-data action. No need a clone option for this.

Moreover, if one need to deactivate it for some reason, I suppose the proper
way to do it would be to set "enable=false" as the notify operation property
for the given resource.

What feature would we loose if this clone option is deprecated?

2. return code

Why the return code from notify is ignored from the cluster?

As discussed on IRC and by emails (IIRC), OCF_RESKEY_CRM_meta_notify_* are
available during notify action. These informations are useful for clones or
promotable resources to detect some wrong actions and raise an error so the
cluster try another transition.

Because of this, in PAF RA, we trigger an error in next expected action based
on decision taken during the notify action.

Thoughts?