[ClusterLabs Developers] [RFC][pacemaker] Antora as a successor for the current publication platform base on (abandoned?) publican

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 15:00:03 EST 2019

I am now talking about documents as available, e.g., at:

https://clusterlabs.org/pacemaker/doc/ (Versioned documentation)

Sadly, I've come to realize that publican is no longer being
developed, and while this alone is bearable since it fulfills
its role well, worse, some distros are not (going to be) packaging
it anymore.  Also, think of staying up-to-date with target formats
and "pleasing aesthetics of the decade".

For instance, also Fedora project, ironically with the intimately
strongest inclination towards this project, decided to ditch it in
favour of Antora:

https://fedoramagazine.org/fedora-docs-overhaul/

On the first sight, getting rid of publican looked well -- the less
extensive dependencies (like Perl ecosystem) the better.  But the
crux is that Antora is possibly even worse in this regard :-D
Good thing about Antora, though, is that it natively works with
with AsciiDoc formatted files, just as we already do, e.g.:

https://github.com/ClusterLabs/pacemaker/tree/Pacemaker-2.0.1-rc2/doc/Pacemaker_Explained/en-US

My ask is then: how you feel about this possible change (addressing
intentionallh YOU on this very list, as an existing or possible future
contributor), if you know of some other tool comparable to publican,
or if you think we might be served with some other approach to
mastering publications with as little friction as possible (staying
with AsciiDoc preferred for the time being) unless we get something
really appealing in return (is there any cherry like that with, e.g.,
Sphinx?).

I figure also downstream has possibly something to say here
if they are after shipping such handbooks as well.

Thanks for your inputs.

--
Jan (Poki)