[ClusterLabs Developers] [RFC] Time to migrate authoritative source forge elsewhere?

Kristoffer Grönlund kgronlund at suse.com
Thu Jun 7 02:48:37 EDT 2018

Jan Pokorný <jpokorny at redhat.com> writes:

> But with the latest headlines on where that site is likely headed,
> I think it's a great opportunity for us to possibly jump on the
> bandwagon inclined more towards free (as in freedom) software
> principles.
>
> Possible options off the top of my head:
> - GitLab, pagure: either their authoritative sites or self-hosted
> - self-hosted cgit/whatever
>
> It would also allow us to reconsider our workflows, e.g. using gerrit
> for patch review queue (current silent force-pushes is a horrible
> scheme!).

My general view is that I also feel (and have felt) a bit uneasy about
free software projects depending so strongly on a proprietary
service. However, unless self-hosting, I don't see how f.ex. GitLab is
much of an improvement (Pagure might be a different story, but does it
offer a comparable user experience?) in that regard, and anything hosted
on "public" cloud is basically the same. ;)

crmsh used to be hosted at GNU Savannah, which is Free with a capital F,
but the admin experience, user experience and general discoverability in
the world at large all left something to be desired.

In regard to workflows, if everyone agrees, we should be able to improve
that without moving. For example, if all changes went through pull
requests, there is a "required reviews" feature in github. I don't know
if that is something everyone want, though.

https://help.github.com/articles/enabling-required-reviews-for-pull-requests/

Cheers,
Kristoffer

--