[ClusterLabs Developers] [RFC] Time to migrate authoritative source forge elsewhere?

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Jun 7 15:01:36 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-07 02:48 AM, Kristoffer Grönlund wrote:
> Jan Pokorný <jpokorny at redhat.com> writes:
>

>> But with the latest headlines on where that site is likely headed,
>> I think it's a great opportunity for us to possibly jump on the
>> bandwagon inclined more towards free (as in freedom) software
>> principles.
>>
>> Possible options off the top of my head:
>> - GitLab, pagure: either their authoritative sites or self-hosted
>> - self-hosted cgit/whatever
>>
>> It would also allow us to reconsider our workflows, e.g. using gerrit
>> for patch review queue (current silent force-pushes is a horrible
>> scheme!).
>>

> My general view is that I also feel (and have felt) a bit uneasy about
> free software projects depending so strongly on a proprietary
> service. However, unless self-hosting, I don't see how f.ex. GitLab is
> much of an improvement (Pagure might be a different story, but does it
> offer a comparable user experience?) in that regard, and anything hosted
> on "public" cloud is basically the same. ;)
>
> crmsh used to be hosted at GNU Savannah, which is Free with a capital F,
> but the admin experience, user experience and general discoverability in
> the world at large all left something to be desired.
>
> In regard to workflows, if everyone agrees, we should be able to improve
> that without moving. For example, if all changes went through pull
> requests, there is a "required reviews" feature in github. I don't know
> if that is something everyone want, though.
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/enabling-required-reviews-for-pull-requests/
>
> Cheers,
> Kristoffer

I think we need to hang tight and wait to see what the landscape looks
like after the dust settles. There are a lot of people on different
projects under the Clusterlabs group. To have them all move in
coordination would NOT be easy. If we do move, we need to be certain
that it's worth the hassle and that we're going to the right place.

I don't think either of those can be met just now. Gitlab has had some
well publicized, major problems in the past. No solution I know of is
totally open, so it's a question of "picking your poison" which doesn't
make a strong "move" argument.

I vote to just hang tight, say for 3~6 months, then start a new thread
to discuss further.

--
Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of