[ClusterLabs Developers] Reference to private bugzillas in commit messages

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Tue Jan 9 13:51:33 EST 2018

On 09/01/18 18:24 +0000, Adam Spiers wrote:
> Here are the abbreviations currently used within openSUSE and SUSE:
>
>    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_Patches_guidelines#Current_set_of_abbreviations
>
> Also see this issue (even if you aren't involved with openSUSE) where I go
> into depth on considerations relating to the use of these shorthand
> references:
>
>    https://github.com/openSUSE/obs-service-tar_scm/issues/207

The links with apparently serial identifiers are least of a problem
even if no URL rewriting applies (frankly, I would question operator's
sanity if the URL scheme like that changes and direct access links,
spread widely, cease to get users to the new locations), as it's
expected that the intended destination will be easily recovered anyway.

> and also this ancient 2013 thread which highlights that a "foo#1234" format
> is too simplistic for references to sites like GitHub:
>
>    https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-packaging/2013-06/msg00032.html
>
> My personal take is that URLs were designed by very clever people for
> exactly this hyperlinking purpose, have been proven over multiple decades,
> and are universally understood by both humans and all kinds of software.  So
> why on earth reinvent the wheel just for this microscopic use case?  To save
> a few bytes?

/me personally concurs

Speaking of my personal tastes, I also like the semiformalized tail
tags akin to widely spread "Signed-of-by: name <email>".  For
instance, I use it extensively in clufter, e.g.:

https://pagure.io/clufter/c/1db634c742bad8546fb658f2e4cb857c6f68b37c

(for anyone curious, I do my best to check referenced bugs are public)

I'd say, also more polite than to push the tracker identifier to the
promiment position in the message summary.

--
Jan (Poki)