[ClusterLabs Developers] Reference to private bugzillas in commit messages

Kristoffer Grönlund kgronlund at suse.com
Tue Jan 9 14:59:24 UTC 2018

Jan Pokorný <jpokorny at redhat.com> writes:

> Proper problem statement in the commit message accompanying the fix
> would alleviate these sorts of redundancies, and would lead to
> improvements on the non-code/soft-skills aspects of the contributions,
> IMHO.

I totally agree that linking to non-public information is somewhat
problematic for an ostensibly open project. But practically speaking,
it's very convenient to be able to include that kind of link ;)

So I'm a bit torn. I would say that we should definitely reject patches
that reference a bug somewhere and does not fully describe the problem
it is solving or the solution included.

But then on the other hand, once the commit message does contain all the
relevant details, having a reference to aid some internal book-keeping
doesn't seem like such a harmful thing either.

Cheers,
Kristoffer

--
// Kristoffer Grönlund