[ClusterLabs Developers] Master scores ignored during cluster startup

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri Sep 15 15:32:49 EDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-08-29 at 16:50 -0500, Ken Gaillot wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-08-29 at 22:55 +0200, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:
> > Hi all,
>> > We discussed this issue with Ken Gaillot and Lars Ellenberg today
> on IRC. This
> > is just a sum up of the problem.
>> > Some users reported me that the PAF RA was not promoting the master
> after a
> > cluster startup. The problem is that PAF is using master score with
> "-l
> > forever", not transient ones disappearing on cluster reboot ("-l
> reboot"). It
> > expects the master scores to be present on cluster start.
>> > So basically, on cluster startup, the master score is just ignored
> and no slave
> > is being promoted...before the next cluster recheck (default to
> 15min later).
>> > You could reproduce the issue using the RA attached to this email
> and the
> > following scenario:
>> >   pcs cluster setup --name cluster_demo srv1 srv2
> >   pcs cluster start --all
> >   pcs cluster cib cluster1.xml
> >   pcs -f cluster1.xml property set stonith-enabled=false
> >   pcs -f cluster1.xml resource create stateful stateful-custom \
> >     op monitor interval=10s role="Master" \
> >     op monitor interval=11s role="Slave"
> >   pcs -f cluster1.xml resource master stateful-ha stateful
> >   pcs cluster cib-push cluster1.xml
> >   crm_master -r stateful -l forever -v 1
> >   # the master is elected and set its score to 10
> >   pcs cluster stop --all
> >   pcs cluster start --all
> >   # no master elected despite the master score
>> > Our discussion led to the theory that this might be correlated to
> this
> > commit where master score is ignored for a resource if it is not
> started yet:
> > https://github.com/beekhof/pacemaker/commit/65f1a22a4b66581159d8b74
> 7dbd49fa5e2ef34e1
>> > If this is the actual issue, I suppose this should be improved to
> detect if
> > another master is existing or not before ignoring the master score.
> Or maybe to
> > detect if we are in a cluster startup or enabling the stateful
> resource in the
> > cluster.
>> > Thoughts?
>
> The issue has turned out to be more complicated, and unrelated to
> that
> commit. I see two problems: clone_name is NULL when master_score() is
> called, so the code looks for master-whatever:0 rather than
> master-whatever; and startup triggers the "has been filtered" block
> of
> code in master_score(), so we don't even get as far as checking
> clone_name.
>
> My instinct for the second issue is that we should be able to skip
> the
> "has been filtered" short-circuit if the resource isn't running or
> [...]

This has been fixed in the upstream master branch.

Commit 905ddd6 handles the second issue as described above. Commit
dd5e271d handles the first issue by checking the master score using the
resource name without the clone instance number if the resource has no
LRM history. There's a new regression test to verify the correct
behavior.
--
Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com>