[ClusterLabs Developers] [libqb] heads-up: logging not working with binutils-2.29 standard linker (ld.bfd)

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Thu Oct 19 16:49:15 EDT 2017

On 03/08/17 20:50 +0200, Valentin Vidic wrote:
>> Proper solution:
>> - give me few days to investigate better ways to deal with this

well, that estimate was off... by far :)

But given the goals of
- as high level of isolation of the client space from the linker
  (respectively toolchain) subtleties as possible (no new compilation
  flags an such on that side)
- universality, as you don't really want to instruct libqb users
  to use this set of flags with linker A and this with linker B,
  and there's no way to hook any computational ad-hoc decision
  when the compilation is about to happen (and particular linker
  to be used + it's version are quite obscured in the build pipeline
  so only configure-like checks would be viable, anyway)
- mapping the exact scope of the issue for basic combinations of
  link participants each doing the logging on its own and possibly
  differing in the linker used to build them into standalone shared
  libraries or executable using the former + cranking up the runner
  of the underlying test matrix
- some reasonable assurance that logging is not silently severed (see
  the headaches note below)
I believe it was worth the effort.

>>   fancy linker, it will likely differ from the iterim one above
>>   (so far, I had quite miserable knowledge of linker script and
>>   other internals, getting better but not without headaches);
>>   we should also ensure there's a safety net because realizing
>>   there are logs missing when they are expected the most
>>   ... priceless
>
> Thank you for the effort.  There is no rush here, we just won't
> be able to upload new version to Debian unstable.

The reconciling patchset is not merged yet, but I'd say it's in the
good shape: https://github.com/ClusterLabs/libqb/pull/266

Testing is requested, of course ;)

--
Jan (Poki)