[ClusterLabs Developers] [libqb] heads-up: logging not working with binutils-2.29 standard linker (ld.bfd)

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Mon Jul 31 16:26:41 EDT 2017

On 31/07/17 21:55 +0200, Jan Pokorný wrote:
> This might be of interest *now* if you are fiddling with bleeding
> edge, or *later* when the distros adopt that version of binutils or
> newer:  Root cause is currently unknown, but the good news is that
> the failure will be captured by the test suite.  At least this was
> the case with the recent mass rebuild in Fedora Rawhide.
>
> Will post more details/clarifications/rectifications when I know more.

So, after reverting following patches (modulo test suite files that
can be skipped easily) from 2.29:

https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h=7dba9362c172f1073487536eb137feb2da30b0ff
https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h=b27685f2016c510d03ac9a64f7b04ce8efcf95c4
https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h=cbd0eecf261c2447781f8c89b0d955ee66fae7e9

I got log.test running happily again.  Will try to identify which one
is to be blamed and follow up with binutils/ld maintainer.

There's also an obligation on the libqb side to make the configure
test much more bullet-proof, as having logging silently directed at
"virtual /dev/null" could be quite painful.  We might go as far
as refusing to compile when section attribute supported by the
compiler/GCC but linker being a show stopper -- I suspect the
performance is the key driver for using that mechanism, so silent
regression in this area might be undesirable as well.

--
Jan (Poki)