[ClusterLabs Developers] bundle/rkt: port-mapping numbers/names

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Wed Jul 19 16:53:44 UTC 2017

On 19/07/17 09:49 -0500, Ken Gaillot wrote:
> On 07/19/2017 01:20 AM, Valentin Vidic wrote:
>> Another issue with the rkt containers is the port-mapping.  Each container
>> defines exposed ports:
>>
>> 	"ports": [
>> 		{
>> 			"name": "http",
>> 			"protocol": "tcp",
>> 			"port": 80,
>> 			"count": 1,
>> 			"socketActivated": false
>> 		},
>> 	]
>>
>> These are than mapped using the "name" from the definition:
>>
>>       --port=                   ports to expose on the host (requires contained network). Syntax: --port=NAME:[HOSTIP:]HOSTPORT
>>
>> The problem now is that the xml defines the port to be a number:

>> Workaround is to use "80" as a port name, but perhaps we could allow
>> port to be a string or introduce a new attribute:
>>
>>       <port-mapping id="httpd-port" port-name="http"/>
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Hmm, this was a questionable design choice on our part. There was some
> question as to what to include in the docker tag (and thus could be
> different under different container technologies) and what to put
> outside of it (and thus should be supported by all technologies).
>
> I'm guessing the situation is that your code needs to do something about
> the port mapping (otherwise you could just omit port-mapping with rkt),
> and the rkt "ports" configuration is pre-existing (otherwise your code
> could generate it with an arbitrary name).
>
> I would think this would also affect the control-port attribute.
>
> I see these alternatives, from simplest to most complicated:
>
> * Just document the issue and require rkt configurations to have name
> equal to port number.

I don't think that alone would suffice, I'd expect at least (port,transport)
pair to be reasonably unique as long as you can remap TCP/UDP independently
(I am not sure, but would be no surprise) -- but hey, we have just hit
another limitation of the current schema (transport layer not being
taken into account -- is TCP silently assumed, then?).

> * Is it possible for the code to take the port number from port-mapping
> and query the rkt configuration to find the appropriate name?
>
> * Is it possible for the code to generate a duplicate/override "ports"
> configuration with a generated name?
>
> * Relax the port attribute to <text/> and let the container
> implementation validate it further as needed. A downside is that some
> Docker config errors wouldn't be caught in the schema validation phase.
> (I think I prefer this over a separate port-name attribute.)
>
> * Restructure the RNG so that the choice is between
> <docker.../><network...><port-mapping ...integer/> and
> <rkt.../><network...><port-mapping...text/>. It would be ugly and
> involve some duplication, but it would satisfy both implementations.

Similar approach was discussed with another proposed change:
http://oss.clusterlabs.org/pipermail/users/2017-April/005552.html
(item 1., i.e., separating the pacemaker-level pseudogenerics from
the tag for a particular engine) which still might be appealing,
especially as/if the schema gets changed anyway.

Valentin, is rkt able so serve containers from one image/location
in multiple instances in parallel?

--
Jan (Poki)