[ClusterLabs Developers] RA as a systemd wrapper -- the right way?

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Tue Dec 5 13:30:30 UTC 2017

On 02/12/17 21:00 +0100, Jan Pokorný wrote:
> https://jdebp.eu/FGA/unix-daemon-readiness-protocol-problems.html
>
> Quoting it:
>   Of course, only the service program itself can determine exactly
>   when this point [of being ready, that, "is about to enter its main
>   request processing loop"] is.
>
> There's no way around this.
>
> The whole objective of OCF standard looks retrospectively pretty
> sidetracked through this lense: instead of pulling weight of the
> semiformal standardization body (comprising significant industry
> players[*]) to raise awareness of this solvable reliability
> discrepancy, possibly contributing to generally acknowledged,
> resource manager agnostic solution (that could be inherited the
> next generation of the init systems), it just put a little bit of
> systemic approach to configuration management and monitoring on
> top of the legacy of organically grown "good enough" initscripts,
> clearly (because of inherent raciness and whatnot) not very suitable
> for the act of supervision nor for any sort of reactive balancing
> to satisfy the requirements (crucial in HA, polling interval-based
> approach leads to losing trailing nines needlessly for cases you
> can be notified about directly).

... although there was clearly a notion of employing asynchronous
mechanisms (one can infer, for technically more sound binding between
the resource manager and the supervised processes) even some 14+ years
ago:
https://github.com/ClusterLabs/OCF-spec/commit/2331bb8d3624a2697afaf3429cec1f47d19251f5#diff-316ade5241704833815c8fa2c2b71d4dR422

--
Jan (Poki)