[ClusterLabs Developers] RA as a systemd wrapper -- the right way?

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Mon Sep 26 14:15:15 UTC 2016

[Sending this as a separate mail, since the last one was already (too)
long and focused on specific details, whereas this one takes a step
back to think about the bigger picture again.]

Adam Spiers <aspiers at suse.com> wrote:
> [...]

[snipped discussion of OCF wrapper RA idea]

> The fact that I don't see any problems where you apparently do makes
> me deeply suspicious of my own understanding ;-)  Please tell me what
> I'm missing.

[snipped]

To clarify: I am not religiously defending this "wrapper OCF RA" idea
of mine to the death.  It certainly sounds like it's not as clean as I
originally thought.  But I'm still struggling to see any dealbreaker.

OTOH, I'm totally open to better ideas.

For example, could Pacemaker be extended to allow hybrid resources,
where some actions (such as start, stop, status) are handled by (say)
the systemd backend, and other actions (such as monitor) are handled
by (say) the OCF backend?  Then we could cleanly rely on dbus for
collaborating with systemd, whilst adding arbitrarily complex
monitoring via OCF RAs.  That would have several advantages:

1. Get rid of grotesque layering violations and maintenance boundaries
   where the OCF RA duplicates knowledge of all kinds of things which
   are distribution-specific, e.g.:

     https://github.com/ClusterLabs/resource-agents/blob/master/heartbeat/apache#L56

2. Drastically simplify OCF RAs by delegating start/stop/status etc.
   to systemd, thereby increasing readability and reducing maintenance
   burden.

3. OCF RAs are more likely to work out of the box with any distro,
   or at least require less work to get working.

4. Services behave more similarly regardless of whether managed by
   Pacemaker or the standard pid 1 service manager.  For example, they
   will always use the same pidfile, run as the same user, in the
   right cgroup, be invoked with the same arguments etc.

5. Pacemaker can still monitor services accurately at the
   application-level, rather than just relying on naive pid-level
   monitoring.

Or is this a terrible idea? ;-)