[ClusterLabs Developers] Resurrecting OCF

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Wed Sep 21 15:55:17 UTC 2016

On 21/09/16 14:50 +1000, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> I like where this is going.
> Although I don’t think we want to get into the business of trying to
> script config changes from one agent to another, so I’d drop #4

Not agent parameter changes, just its specification -- to reflect
formally what the proposed symlink-based delegation scheme does when
the old one is still in use.  If the old and new are incompatible,
such automatic delegation is not possible anyway (that's one of
the reasons "description" would come handy).

I see there's much bigger potential (parameter renames, ...) but for
that, each agent should be responsible on its own (somehow, subject
of further evolution).

Also, supposing there are more consumers of RA, the suggestion to
run the script should be more generic ("when used from under
pacemaker, ...").

> I would make .deprecated a nested directory so that if we want to
> retire (for example) a ClusterLabs agent in the future we can create
> .deprecate/clusterlabs/ and put the agent there. Rather than make
> this heartbeat specific.

Good point; it would also prevent clashes when single directory should
serve all the providers.

> I wonder if some of this should live in pacemaker itself though…

This runs directly to the other side of the RA-pacemaker bias,
pacemaker caring about RA evolutionary internals :-)

In the outlook, that would make any separated OCF standard efforts
worthless and we could just call it pacemaker resource standard
right away and forget about any sort of self-containment
(the proposed procedure aims to align with).

I am not sure that would be the best thing.

> If resources_action_create() cannot find ocf:${provider}:${agent} in
> its usual location, look up
> ${OCF_ROOT_DIR}/.compat/${provider}/__entries__
>
> Format for __entries__:
>    # old, replacement
>    # ${agent} , ${new_provider}:${new_agent} , ${description}
>    IPaddr , clusterlabs:IP , Replaced with different semantics
>    IPaddr2 , clusterlabs:IP , Moved
>    drbd , linbit:drbd , Moved
>    eDirectory , , Deleted

Additional "what happened" field might work well in the update
suggestions.

--
Jan (Poki)