[ClusterLabs Developers] [booth][sbd] GPLv2.1+ clarification request

Dejan Muhamedagic dejan at suse.de
Thu Mar 17 14:12:19 EDT 2016

Hi Jan,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 06:47:37PM +0100, Jan Pokorný wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> during latest reviews of packages building on core cluster
> infrastructure, it turned out there is a frequented (viral?) issue
> with source files declaring unusual licence: GPLv2.1+.

Yes, I'd say that it's all coming from a single source. I suspect
that nobody's looking at the license, just copies another source
file from the same project. Anyway, that's what I did in booth.

Who created the first file with this non-existent license is
anybody's guess. It could probably be traced, but I doubt that
it'd help in any way.

> Affected packages breakdown is at the bottom, including
> (possibly non-exhaustive) contributors that knowingly or unknowingly
> contributed under that file-local license.
>
> Now, it is highly questionable what was asserted by this license
> reference by particular contributors.  The fact is that such a license
> does not exist.  So the logical implication and view of the situation
> is that affected files are effectively licensed under GPLv3+.
>
> The other possible view is that it's actually a typo arising from
> LGPL2.1 vs. GPLv2 confusion, and then again it's unclear which one
> should apply.

As you raised this issue earlier in one github pull request, I
looked today into the matter and reached the same conclusion
(which is not much of a conclusion).

> Therefore I would like to start moving towards resolution of this
> issue by soliciting feedback amongst affected contributors (CC'd)
> which direction is preferred:
>
> 1. settle down on GPLv2+ (or LGPL2.1+), which will likely require
>    whole relicensing process, i.e., collecting sign-offs on this by all
>    contributors in question
>
> 2. clarify that indeed GPLv3+ was meant and adjust the respective
>    clauses in the source code
>
> 3. keep the status quo, leave it in the shadow zone allowing for
>    ambiguous interpretations that may leave potential contributors
>    away from the project(s)
>
> Apparently, both affected packages, booth and sbd, can choose its
> own direction independently of the other package.

I don't have an opinion on which resolution to pursue and I'm not
sure if I care at all.

Thanks,

Dejan