[ClusterLabs Developers] Potential logo for Cluster Labs

Andrew Price anprice at redhat.com
Thu Aug 25 09:13:38 EDT 2016

On 25/08/16 13:58, Klaus Wenninger wrote:
> On 08/25/2016 12:49 PM, Andrew Price wrote:
>> On 24/08/16 18:50, Ken Gaillot wrote:
>>> Suggestions/revisions/alternatives are welcome.
>>
>> Here's a possible alternative theme. It's similarly greyscale and I'm
>> not hugely happy with the font (I don't seem to have many good ones
>> installed) but I'm happy enough with it to throw it on the pile :)
>
> Looks good, indeed!
>
> But actually I liked Kens' idea using cluster-components to build the
> letters.
> My first association with the C was just a ring of Crays - which is
> probably not what we want to convey.
> Guess there should finally be 2 versions: one much wider than high with
> 'ClusterLabs' - text + a catchy
> graphical logo about as wide as high, and one with just the logo.
> For that to make sense the graphical logo - as Kens' version - would be
> nice to have more association
> with ClusterLabs.
> Then one can choose depending on where it is supposed to go.

I've seen a bunch of logo design discussions over the years and the one
thing I've learnt is that trying to include representations and initials
in logo designs is often limiting and can detract from the aesthetic
strength of the logo. So I tend to favour taking inspiration from the
subject and using an image that just looks strong and identifying over
something that has components representing the subject. Sort of a
identity-not-icon approach. That's just my philosophy though, IANADesigner.

Of course, what it really comes down to is, "would I wear this on a
t-shirt?" :)

Cheers,
Andy