[ClusterLabs Developers] OCF under the Linux Foundation?

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Mon Aug 15 12:34:38 EDT 2016

I got a response from the Linux Foundation regarding the OCF name. They
are willing to host a working group if we want a neutral home for it. He
didn't explicitly address the question, but I believe the LF would have
no objections to ClusterLabs taking over the OCF name if we don't want
to go that route.

I've attached the sample charter he mentioned in case anyone wants to
see it. We wouldn't have to set up identically but it's a reference point.

I think the naming conflicts he mentions are not serious, because (1)
our usage predates either of those, and (2) there are even more existing
computer-related uses of the OCF acronym (see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCF ... Open Computing Facility,
OpenBSD/FreeBSD Cryptographic Framework, OpenCard Framework, Original
Composite Font).

How does everyone feel about this? Should we host the OCF standards
under the Linux Foundation, for greater reach and authority, and clear
neutrality? Or should we bring it under ClusterLabs, to keep everything
as simple as possible (and perhaps emphasize support for OSes beyond Linux)?