[ClusterLabs Developers] Resurrecting OCF

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Mon Aug 15 06:37:06 EDT 2016

On 18/07/16 11:13 -0500, Ken Gaillot wrote:
> A suggestion came up recently to formalize a new version of the OCF
> resource agent API standard[1].
>
> The main goal would be to formalize the API as it is actually used
> today, and to replace the "unique" meta-data attribute with two new
> attributes indicating uniqueness and reloadability.

My suggestion would be to consider changing the provider name for RAs
from resource-agents upstream project to anything more reasonable
than "heartbeat" in one step with bumping to-be-added conformance
parameter in meta-data denoting that the RA in question reflects
the requirements of the new revision of OCF/resource agents API
(and, apparently, in one step with delivering any conformance
adjustments needed, such as mentioned "unique" indicator).

Original thread regarding this related suggestion from 3 years ago:
http://lists.linux-ha.org/pipermail/linux-ha/2013-July/047320.html

spanned also into the following month:
http://lists.linux-ha.org/pipermail/linux-ha/2013-August/047368.html

> We could also add the fence agent API as a new spec, or expand the
> RA spec to cover both.

Definitely, the spec(s) should be as language-agnostic as possible
(so no pretending that, e.g., fencing library of fence-agents is
a panacea to hide all the interaction/inteface details; the goal
of the standardization work should be to allow truly interchangeable
components).

--
Jan (Poki)