[ClusterLabs Developers] [Debian-ha-maintainers] SBD Releases

Christoph Berg myon at debian.org
Tue Apr 5 09:03:13 UTC 2016

Re: Adrian Vondendriesch 2016-04-05 <57034DC7.5050405 at credativ.de>
> On 05.04.2016 06:21, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> > Its not a particularly high volume project, so for RHEL we've been sufficiently happy with hash based tarballs.
>
> Ok, thanks for the reply. I think we will go this way, too.

Hi,

I've been browsing the commit history of sbd, and my impression was
that there is much more going on than what I'd call "low volume".

The reason why Debian is usually asking for release tarballs is that
we then have some "this version is ok for general use" statement from
the authors, while for git-hash-snapshots, we can never really be sure
that we haven't hit a spot that is WIP between two development
sprints. Or a case of "there's this open pull request that should
definitely be included, it's just not done yet". Or "the last commit
in git HEAD does [not] warrant a new package release".

That said, we'd just need a tag on github, the tarball would then
automatically be available in the /releases pages there. We could also
point the new-upstream-version-available machinery there to get
notified about new versions programmatically. (Driven by
"debian/watch" files.)

To get the package started, we can of course use a snapshot tarball as
Adrian said, but long-term I'd really prefer real releases. Would that
be arrangeable?

Thanks,
Christoph