[ClusterLabs Developers] Proposed future feature: multiple notification scripts

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Sun Dec 6 17:41:03 EST 2015

> On 5 Dec 2015, at 4:22 AM, Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 12/04/2015 10:59 AM, Jan Pokorný wrote:
>> Btw. was any other architectural approach considered?  It's sad
>> that multiplatform IPC, which is what might be better to handle
>> more or less continuous one-way stream of updates

but requires us to build in knowledge of, and a library dependancy on, every possible target.
we’ve already seen how well that went for just SNMP and SMTP, let alone whatever current management fad has captured people’s attention.

by contrast, there is always a CLI tool

>> (would the exec
>> mechanism apply some kind of rate-limiting to prevent exhaustion?),
>> but what about
>
> There is no rate limiting on the Pacemaker end. If there winds up
> being a big demand for it, we can look into it, but that is more
> likely to be useful within the script itself (a script that notifies
> another service of status changes likely does not want rate limiting,
> but an SMS notifier sure might).

agreed. this belongs in the scripts or some intermediate party.

also, by definition, the notification overhead is less than that of the resources they are for.
so the node itself should be ok, the person on the other end… that is why people install alert management systems.