[ClusterLabs Developers] Proposed future feature: multiple notification scripts

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 12:20:42 EST 2015

On 12/02/2015 11:14 PM, Digimer wrote:
> On 02/12/15 06:23 PM, Ken Gaillot wrote:
>> This will be of interest to cluster front-end developers and anyone who
>> needs event notifications ...
>>
>> One of the new features in Pacemaker 1.1.14 will be built-in
>> notifications of cluster events, as described by Andrew Beekhof on That
>> Cluster Guy blog:
>> http://blog.clusterlabs.org/blog/2015/reliable-notifications/
>>
>> For a future version, we're considering extending that to allow multiple
>> notification scripts, each with multiple recipients. This would require

<snip>

>> Another advantage will be a configurable timeout (1.1.14 will have a
>> hardcoded 5-minute timeout for notification scripts).
>
> In ScanCore, we handled this by delivering to a locally configured
> postfix instance. This handles queueing and delivery without the
> higher-level app needing to worry about it.
>
> (unless I am misunderstanding "timeout" in this context...)
>>
>> The crm_attribute command and the various cluster front-ends would need
>> to be modified to handle the new configuration syntax.
>>
>> This is all in the idea stage (development is still a ways off), so any
>> comments, suggestions, criticisms, etc. are welcome.
>
> Would it be up to the called script to craft the message, or would the
> message be generated by pacemaker? If the later; How would you handle
> internationalization?

Pacemaker won't send an email (or any other notification) directly -- it
will simply call the user-provided script with the recipient list. It's
up to the script to do the actual action (send an email, send an SMS,
log to a file, run some iptables commands, use a REST API to trigger
some desired action in a server, could be anything).