[ClusterLabs Developers] migrate-to and migrate-from for moving Master/Slave roles ?

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 13:49:04 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
<jgdr at dalibo.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> This check consist of validating the last transaction log entry the slave
> received. It must be the "shutdown checkpoint" from the old master.
>
>> There’s no-one for the designated slave to talk to in the case of errors...
>
> I was explaining the steps for a successful switchover in PostgreSQL, outside
> of Pacemaker. Sorry for the confusion if it wasn't clear enough :/
>
> This is currently done by hands. Should an error occurs (the
> slave did non received the shutdown checkpoint of the master), the human
> operator simply restart/promote the master and the slave get back to its
> replication from it.
>
>> >  (3) promote the designated slave as master
>> >  (4) start the old master as slave
>>
>> (4) is pretty tricky.  Assuming you use master/slave, its supposed to be in
>> this state already after the demote in step (1).
>
> Back to Pacemaker and our RA. A demote in PostgreSQL is really a stop + start as
> slave. So after a demote, as the master actually did stopped and restart as
> slave, the designated slave to be promoted must have the "shutdown checkpoint"
> in its transaction log from the old master.
>
>> If you’re just using clones,
>> then you’re in even more trouble because pacemaker either wouldn’t have
>> stopped it or won’t want to start it again.
>
> We are using stateful clones with the master/slave role.
> During a Pacemaker "move" (what I call a switchover), the resource is demoted
> in the source node and promoted in destination one.  Considering a demote in
> PostgreSQL is a stop/start(as slave), we are fine with (1) (3) and (4):
>
> (1) the demote did stop the old master (and restarted it as slave)
> (3) the designated slave is promoted
> (4) the old master, connect to the new master
>
> About (4), as the old master is restarted as a slave in (1), it just wait to
> be able to connect to the new master during (2) and (3) occurs. It might be
> either the "master IP address" that finally appears or some setup in the "post
> promote" notification, etc.
>
>> See more below.
>>
>> > As far as we understand Pacemaker, migrate-to and migrate-from capabilities
>> > allows to distinguish if we are moving a resource because of a failure or
>> > for a controlled switchover situation. Unfortunately, these capabilities
>> > are ignored for cloned and multi-state resources…
>>
>> Yeah, this isn’t really the right use-case.
>> You need to be looking more at the promote/demote cycle.
>>
>> If you turn on notifications, then in a graceful switchover (eg. the node is
>> going into standby) you will get information about which node has been
>> selected to become the new master when calling demote on the old master.
>> Perhaps you could ensure (2) while performing (1).
>
> Our RA is already working. It already uses promote/demode notifications. See
>
>   https://github.com/dalibo/pgsql-resource-agent/blob/master/multistate/script/pgsqlms
>
> But I fail to understand how I could distinguish, even from notifications, a
> failing scenario from a move/switchover one.

Does it really matter?

You have asynchronous replication. In case of involuntary failover you
are bound to lose some in-flight transactions. If you accept it, I do
not see why you care in case of voluntary failover. How is the
situation worse than sudden host crash millisecond before you were
ready to move master to another host?