[ClusterLabs Developers] Resource Agent language discussion

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Sun Aug 16 19:42:35 EDT 2015

> On 11 Aug 2015, at 5:34 pm, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr at dalibo.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 11:30:03 +1000
> Andrew Beekhof <andrew at beekhof.net> wrote:
>

>>> On 8 Aug 2015, at 1:14 am, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr at dalibo.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Jan,

>>> Thanks for the links and history. You add some more argument to my points :)

>>> That sounds legitimate. And bash is still appropriate for some simple RA.
>>>
>>> But for the same ease of code debugging and maintainability arguments (and
>>> many others), complexe RA shouldn't use shell as language.
>>
>> You can and should use whatever language you like for your own private RAs.
>> But if you want it accepted and maintained by the resource-agents project,
>> you would be advised to use the language they have standardised on.
>
> Well, let's imagine our RA was written in bash (in fact, we have a bash version
> pretty close to the current perl version we abandoned). I wonder if it would be
> accepted in the resource-agents project anyway as another one already exists
> there. I can easily list the reasons we rewrote a new one, but this is not the
> subject here.
>
> The discussion here is more about the language, if I should extract a
> ocf-perl-module from my RA and if there is any chance the resource-agents
> project would accept it.

Well, it depends on the reasons you didn’t list :-)

The first questions any maintainer is going to ask are:
- why did you write a new one?
- can we merge this with the old one?
- can the new one replace the old one? (ie. full superset)

Because if both are included, then they will forevermore be answering the question “which one should I use?”.

Basically, if you want it accepted upstream, then yes, you probably want to ditch the perl bit.
But not having seen the agent or knowing why it exists, its hard to say.