[ClusterLabs] MySQL cluster with auto failover

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at ha.open.source.it
Wed Sep 6 06:39:54 EDT 2023

On Wednesday 06 September 2023 at 11:23:54, Damiano Giuliani wrote:

> Thanks for helping.
>
> Because I still don't know which version will be provided, probably MySQL
> enterprise or community.

I believe both support Galera replication.

> I was wondering about pacemaker because I know quite well how it works and
> I need a vip/automatic failover

I regard a VIP as being entirely independent of replicating database content.

> Galera seems a different approach that I have to study and test estensively
> before  place in production, instead pacemaker is a well know solution to
> me.

Yes, but if you are trying to replicate database content, how does pacemaker
help with this?  Pacemaker can quite happily provide you with a floating
virtual IP address which is guarenteed to be on one of your database servers,
but it doesn't (as far as I know) have any mechanism for replicating the
database content between those servers.

> Is drbd approach obsolete or solid?

I would say that DRBD is a solid solution provided you only have two nodes and
they have very good connectivity between them.

However, replicating the data at disk level is a very different matter from
having a DBMS such as MySQL understanding what is on the disk (and for that
matter, what it has cached in RAM).

> About the degraded status I read on web there is a specific configuration?

I cannot comment on that; maybe someone else can.

> There is also a good Galera documentation to study?

I used https://mariadb.com/kb/en/getting-started-with-mariadb-galera-cluster

Antony.

--
"In fact I wanted to be John Cleese and it took me some time to realise that
the job was already taken."

 - Douglas Adams

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.