[ClusterLabs] Using cluster without fencing

Sergey Cherukhin sergey.cherukhin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 02:27:04 EDT 2023

Hello!

I use Postgresql+Pacemaker+Corosync 3 nodes cluster with 2 Postgresql
instances in synchronous replication mode on two high performance nodes and
Pacemaker+Corosync on the third low performance node for quorum only. At
the same time a SCADA HMI software is running on the high performance
nodes. This SCADA  software uses its own redundancy technology.

In this case I can't use fencing as usual to power off or reboot a failed
node, because the operator will be very surprised when his workstation will
be shutted down due to database failure.

What type of fencing should I use in this case?

On the other hand,  Postgresql instances don't use any shared resources. Is
it possible to use cluster without fencing in this case?

Best regards,
Sergey Cherukhin