[ClusterLabs] #clusterlabs IRC channel

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Wed May 19 12:58:35 EDT 2021

On 2021-05-19 12:55 p.m., kgaillot at redhat.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The ClusterLabs community has long used a #clusterlabs IRC channel on
> the popular IRC server freenode.net.
>
> As you may have heard, freenode recently had a mass exodus of staff and
> channels after a corporate buy-out that was perceived as threatening
> the user community's values.
>
> Many have moved to a new server, libera.chat, organized as a nonprofit.
> We have grabbed the #clusterlabs channel there to reserve the name.
> (Thanks, digimer!)
>
> Our options are to move #clusterlabs to libera.chat, find another
> public server, set up our own chat solution on clusterlabs.org, or
> continue using freenode until the dust settles.
>
> By coincidence, I've been investigating Phacility as an open-source
> project management tool for Pacemaker. I was already planning to set up
> a demo instance on clusterlabs.org Friday. Phacility has a suite of
> tools, including (web-based) chat, so I'll enable that, and we can
> experiment with it to see if it's worth considering.
>
> Opinions welcome. I'll follow up on this thread with any new
> developments.

Speaking to another dev, he suggested OFTC, who have been around for 20
years, host other big open source projects, and has no connection to the
freenode drama. For all these reasons, I'd like to change my suggestion
to OFTC. As with libera.chat, I've setup and registered the channels the
community use there as well.

So as of right now, I've got things setup on both networks, and will go
with whatever the majority chooses. For me personally, my votes are now
+1 to oftc and -1 to libera.chat.

--
Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of