[ClusterLabs] Problems with pacemaker

Salvatore D'Angelo SDANGELO at it.ibm.com
Thu Nov 16 04:27:07 EST 2017

Hi All,

I am working on a PostgreSQL cluster managed using Pacemaker and Corosync.
The cluster is composed by three nodes: Master, Sync and Async.
Currently my cluster uses PostgreSQL 9.4.9 and I am going to upgrade my
environments to 9.6.3.

My upgrade procedure uses the following steps:

1. install 9.6.3 binaries on all the three nodes
2. crm node standby of all the three nodes
3. create new data directory on all the three nodes
4. only on master node do initdb on data directory
5. pg_upgrade from old to the new directory
6. update postgresql.conf file
7. start postgres with pg_ctl command
8. stop postgres with pg_ctl command
9. crm node online <master node>

on the others two nodes:
10. pg_base_backup to align slave node with master
11. crm node online <slave node>

Now I have two questions:
1. In order to have the master working properly I needed step 7 and 8 in
order to let master recognize the status of the cluster before the upgrade
and let it recognize the others node and go in hot standby mode. Is this
start/sto really required or there is another way to have master start
from the status before the upgrade?

2. On test environment this procedure works fine. In production, two times
happened that when I start nodes in step 9 the slaves start as well. Is
this possible? In which case this could happen?

Salvatore D'Angelo
Advisory Software  Engineer - IBM Cloud
IBM Rome Software Lab
Via Sciangai 53, 00144 Roma
Phone +39-347-432-8059

IBM Italia S.p.A. Sede Legale: Circonvallazione Idroscalo - 20090 Segrate
(MI) Cap. Soc. euro 347.256.998,80 C. F. e Reg. Imprese MI 01442240030 -
Partita IVA 10914660153 Societa' con unico azionista Societa' soggetta
all'attivita' di direzione e coordinamento di International Business
Machines Corporation (Salvo che sia diversamente indicato sopra / Unless
stated otherwise above)