[Pacemaker] Pre/post-action notifications for master-slave and clone resources

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Sun Mar 29 21:36:23 EDT 2015

> On 27 Jan 2015, at 9:57 pm, Vladislav Bogdanov <bubble at hoster-ok.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Playing with two-week old git master on a two-node cluster I discovered that only limited set of "notify" operations is performed for clone and master-slave instances when all of them are being started/stopped.
>
> Clones (anonymous):
> * post-start
> * pre-stop
>
> M/S:
> * post-start
> * post-promote
> * pre-demote
> * pre-stop
>
> According to Pacemaker Explained there should be more:
>
> * pre-start

There wouldn't be anyone to notify if they're all stopped

> * pre-promote
> * post-demote

These two I'm surprised about.  Possibly they're going on the same logic as pre-start and post-stop.

> * post-stop

There wouldn't be anyone to notify if they're all stopping

> Some notifications (pre-stop for my clone and pre-demote for ms) are repeated twice (due to transition aborts or fact that multiple instances are stopping/demoting?) but that has minor impact for me.
>
> I tested that by setting stop-all-resources property to 'true' and 'false'.
>
> On the other hand, if I put one node with running instances into standby and then into online states, I see all missing notifications.
>
> I that intended that actions above are not performed when all instances are handled simultaneously?
>
> One more question about 'post' notifications: Are they "send" to RA right after corresponding main action is finished or they wait in the transition queue? In other words, is it possible to get post-stop notification that the "foreign" instance is stopped during the time the stop action on the local instance is still running?

The post-X notifications are sent after all X actions for the clone have completed.