[Pacemaker] fencing with multiple node cluster

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 28 11:38:02 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 09:51:02AM -0400, Digimer wrote:
> On 28/10/14 05:59 AM, philipp.achmueller at arz.at wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> any recommendation/documentation for a reliable fencing implementation
>> on a multi-node cluster (4 or 6 nodes on 2 site).
>> i think of implementing multiple node-fencing devices for each host to
>> stonith remaining nodes on other site?
>>
>> thank you!
>> Philipp
>
> Multi-site clustering is very hard to do well because of fencing issues.
> How do you distinguish a site failure from severed links?

Indeed. There's a booth server managing the tickets in
pacemaker, which uses arbitrators to resolve ties. booth source
is available at github.com and packaged for several
distributions at OBS
(http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network:/ha-clustering:/Stable/)
It's also supported in the newly released SLE12.

Thanks,

Dejan