[Pacemaker] clusters on virtualised platforms

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Jul 17 00:59:56 EDT 2014

On 17/07/14 01:41 PM, Alex Samad - Yieldbroker wrote:

> [...]

Then ensure that each VM is on a different host, otherwise the host
itself becomes a single point of failure. Further, you will want to add
a backup fence method that can take out the host if it stops responding.
Otherwise, a failure in the host would leave the target node's fence
method (the hypervisor) inaccessible, and a failed fence method can only
be handled safely by effectively hanging the cluster. It is not allowed
that no response be treated as confirmation of node death, lest you end
up with inevitable split-brains.

I do see people try to do this more often, and I will continue to
discourage it... "An HA cluster is beautiful not when there is nothing
left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.". Every piece
in the cluster is another potential point of failure.