[Pacemaker] Creating a safe cluster-node shutdown script (for when UPS goes OnBattery+LowBattery)

Tomas Jelinek tojeline at redhat.com
Fri Jul 11 05:12:28 EDT 2014

Dne 11.7.2014 01:30, Giuseppe Ragusa napsal(a):
> [...]
>  > >
>  > >>>> Possibly with 'pcs cluster standby' first if you're worried that
> stopping the resources might take too long.
>  > >
>  > > I forgot to ask: in which way would a previous standby make the
> resources stop sooner?
>  > >
>  > >>> I thought that "pcs cluster standby" would usually migrate the
> resources to the other node (I actually tried it and confirmed the
> expected behaviour); so this would risk to become a race with the timing
> of the other node standby,
>  > >>
>  > >> Not really, at the point the second node runs 'standby' we'll stop
> trying to migrate services and just stop them everywhere.
>  > >> Again, this is a centrally controlled process, timing isn't a problem.
>  > >
>  > > I understand that, "eventually", timing won't be a problem and
> resources will "eventually" stop, but from your description I'm afraid
> that some delaying could result in the total shutdown process, arising
> from possibly unsynchronized UPS notifications on the nodes (first node
> starts standby, resources start to move, THEN second node starts standby).
>  > >
>  > > So now I'm taking your advice and I'll modify the script to user
> cluster stop but, with the aim of avoiding the aforementioned delay (if
> it actually represents a possibility), I would like to ask you three
> questions:
>  > >
>  > Hi,
>  > "pcs cluster stop --all" does not work on 6.5 with pcs-0.9.90 which I
>  > believe is shipped with 6.5. You need to install current pcs version
>  > from https://github.com/feist/pcs and run pcsd service on all nodes.
>
> Hi,
> thanks for the information.
>  From reading the discussion under various Pacemaker-related bugzilla
> entries (on Red Hat bugzilla) I'm suspecting that the package will be
> rebased/updated soon (possibly for RHEL 6.6), so I could either wait or
> temporarily recompile/create an updated package myself.
>
>  > > *) if I simply issue a "pcs cluster stop --all" from the first node
> that gets notified of UPS critical status, do I risk any adverse effect
> when the other node asynchronously gives the same command some time
> later (before/after the whole cluster stop sequence completes)?
>  > It just runs "service pacemaker stop" and "service cman stop" on every
>  > node. It should have no effect once the services are already stopped.
>
> Ok for the absence of adverse effects, but the error detection could be
> "difficult" (see your warning on exit codes below):
> it could have exit code != 0 if the other node was already powered off
> or otherwise inoperative, right?
> And what would be the exit code if the cluster is already off on this
> node (because the other one caught the UPS signal first)? I suppose that

If pcs is able to connect to pcsd on all nodes and run "service
pacemaker stop" and "service cman stop" on them and both of these
commands exit with exit code == 0 on all nodes then pcs exits with exit
code == 0. pcsd service is not stopped by this so you can run "pcs
cluster stop --all" repeatedly and it will exit with 0 because stopping
already stopped pacemaker and cman exit with 0.

If pcs is not able to connect to pcsd on some node or run the cluster
stop command there or service stop exits with != 0 there then pcs exits
with exit code != 0.

So you can run "pcs cluster stop --all" on all nodes and it will exit
with 0. Once you power off a node or stop pcsd service it will exit with
!= 0.

Regards,
Tomas