[Pacemaker] reboot of non-vm host results in VM restart -- of chickens and eggs and VMs

Bob Haxo bhaxo at sgi.com
Wed Jan 8 00:14:37 EST 2014

Hi Andrew,

With configuration fumble, err, test,  that brought about this "of
chickens and eggs and VMs" request, the situation is that the reboot of
the non-host server results in the restart of the VM running on the host
server.

>From earlier [Pacemaker] thread:

> From: Tom Fernandes <anyaddress at gmx.net>
> Subject: [Pacemaker] chicken-egg-problem with libvirtd and a VM within
> cluster
> Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 18:09:30 +0200 (09:09 PDT)
> I observed that when I stop and start corosync on one of the nodes,
> pacemaker
> (when starting corosync again) wants to check the status of the vm
> before
> starting libvirtd. This check fails as libvirtd needs to be running
> for this
> check. After trying for 20s libvirtd starts. The vm gets restarted
> after those
> 20s and then runs on one of the nodes. I am left with a
> monitoring-error to
> cleanup and my vm has rebooted.

And the same issue raised by myself earlier:

> From: Bob Haxo <bhaxo at sgi.com>
> Subject: [Pacemaker] GFS2 with Pacemaker on RHEL6.3 restarts with
> reboot
> Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 19:14:31 -0700
>
> Problem: When the the non-VM-host is rebooted, then when Pacemaker
> restarts the gfs2 filesystem gets restarted on the VM host, which
> causes
> the stop and start of the VirtualDomain. The gfs2 filesystem also gets
> restarted without of the VirtualDomain resource included.

The "chicken and egg and VMs" configured cluster is no longer available.
Perhaps the output of "crm configure show" has been saved.

Regarding the "chicken and egg and VMs" question, I now avoid the
issue ... somehow, and have moved on to new issues.

Please see the thread: [Pacemaker] "stonith_admin -F node" results in a
pair of reboots.  In particular the Tue, 7 Jan 2014 09:21:54 +0100
response from Fabio Di Nitto.

The information from Fabio was very helpful. I currently seem to have
arrived at a RHEL 6.5 HA virtual server solution: no  "chicken and egg
and VMs" problem, no "fencing of both servers when only one was
explicitly fenced", no "clvmd startup timed out" resulting in "clvmd:pid
blocked for more than 120 seconds", but with a working VM, a working
live migration and a correct response to a manual fence cmd.  Tomorrow I
will add to that thread the results of my work today.

Regards,
Bob Haxo