[Pacemaker] custom resource-agent

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Sep 30 15:41:23 EDT 2013

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013, David Lang wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Sep 2013, Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:
>
>> Am Montag, 30. September 2013, 21:12:56 schrieb Peter Romfeld:
>>> I am working in AWS i cant just use a VIP i need to use a floating
>>> secondary IP which i reassign through script, i want to let pacemaker
>>> handle the reassignment...
>>
>> Please explain the difference of a VIP and a "secondary IP" in your
>> opinion.
>
> with AWS you need to inform amazon of the change, not just change the IP on
> the local box, that requires much more work than a simple local VIP

being more detailed, instead of just
ifconfig eth0:0 $vip
you have to do something like

/opt/aws/bin/ec2-assign-private-ip-addresses -n $ENI_ID --secondary-private-ip-address $VIP --allow-reassignment --region $REGION
pingresult=`ping -c 1 -W 1 $VIP | grep time= | wc -l`
if [ "$pingresult" == "0" ]; then
   echo `date` "-- Restarting network"
   /sbin/service network restart > /dev/null 2>&1
fi

this is horribly slow by comparison to VIP takover on normal local systems, but
it can still be far faster than killing a system and spinning up a replacement.

David Lang