[Pacemaker] create 2-node Active/Passive firewall cluster

Allen Pomeroy a at pomeroy.us
Wed Sep 18 14:43:17 EDT 2013

Why don't you consider something like OpenBSD's packet filter (pf),
pfsync, and CARP?  That would provide a better (hitless) HA solution for
firewalls.  I also use fwbuilder.org to graphically manage the firewall
rules.  The best use for a cluster is services that can take a hit while
the cluster migrates resources from a failed node to a healthy node.
Firewalls are a special case where you want the 'failover' to happen in
near realtime including the in memory firewall state table and the IP
MAC addresses on each segment.

I use pacemaker for application level service management with great
success.

Regards,
AP

--