[Pacemaker] staggered resource startup

Matthew O'Connor matt at ecsorl.com
Tue Sep 3 11:01:47 EDT 2013

On 08/27/2013 06:18 PM, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> Are you aware of this cluster option?
>
>        batch-limit = integer [30]
>            The number of jobs that the TE is allowed to execute in
parallel

>            The "correct" value will depend on the speed and load of
your network and cluster nodes.

> As long as the VMs are truly started before the resource agent reports
"done", then lowering this value should spread the load out more.

> There is also the possibility to specify ordering constraints with
kind=Serialize:

http://clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1-crmsh/html/Pacemaker_Explained/s-resource-ordering.html

No, I was not aware of this option.  The catch to the batch-limit will
be with the resource agent, as you said.  AFAIK this particular resource
agent reports that a VM is started once libvirt reports it's started,
though "started" and "booted" are very different states and libvirt does
not care about whether or not the VM successfully booted.  The load I'm
trying to limit occurs after the VM is started, i.e. while it's
booting.  So, I'm thinking to get what I want, I will need to use the
batch-limit in conjunction with a modified resource agent that will
delay reporting success until some timeout has been reached.  Ick...but
better than nothing! :)

Thanks for the info!
-- Matthew

--
Thank you!
  Matthew O'Connor

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic
message is legally privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure
under applicable law. It is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended
or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete the original message and any copies of it from
your computer system. Thank you.

EXPORT CONTROL WARNING:  This document may contain technical data that
is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
controls and may not be exported or otherwise disclosed to any foreign
person or firm, whether in the US or abroad, without first complying
with all requirements of the ITAR, 22 CFR 120-130, including the
requirement for obtaining an export license if applicable. In addition,
this document may contain technology that is subject to the Export
Administration Regulations (EAR) and may not be exported or otherwise
disclosed to any non-U.S. person, whether in the US or abroad, without
first complying with all requirements of the EAR, 15 CFR 730-774,
including the requirement for obtaining an export license if applicable.
Violation of these export laws is subject to severe criminal penalties.