[Pacemaker] Is IPMI reliable to avoid DRBD SplitBrain?

Xiaomin Zhang zhangxiaomin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 08:55:25 EDT 2013

Hi, guy:
I followed the standard way to enable the IPMI based STONITH for a service
which relies on DRBD primary-secondary replication.
Besides below pacemaker configuration (of cause, STONITH is enabled for
pacemaker):

primitive suse2-stonith stonith:external/ipmi \
        params hostname="suse2" ipaddr="XXX" userid="admin" passwd="xxx"
interface="lan"
primitive suse4-stonith stonith:external/ipmi \
        params hostname="suse4" ipaddr="YYY" userid="admin" passwd="yyy"
interface="lan"
location st-suse2 suse2-stonith -inf: suse2
location st-suse4 suse4-stonith -inf: suse4

I also use 'resource-and-stonith' as DRBD global configuration.
This configuration works for many times with below failure tests:
1.  iptables -A INPUT -j DROP
2.  echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger
3.  /etc/init.d/network stop
4.  reboot
The failed node will be power cycled the counterpart by IPMI command.
However, I still get DRBD SplitBrain issue for some time. Does that mean
IPMI is still not so reliable for DATA integration?

And I was also so confused that for many times, crm-unfence-peer.sh. is not
called after crm-fence-peer.sh. Does this imply that I have something
misconfigured?
Your advice is really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.