[Pacemaker] custom resource-agent

David Lang david at lang.hm
Tue Oct 1 10:22:20 EDT 2013

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:41:23PM -0700, David Lang wrote:

>>> with AWS you need to inform amazon of the change, not just change
>>> the IP on the local box, that requires much more work than a
>>> simple local VIP
>>
>> being more detailed, instead of just
>> ifconfig eth0:0 $vip
>> you have to do something like
>>
>> /opt/aws/bin/ec2-assign-private-ip-addresses -n $ENI_ID --secondary-private-ip-address $VIP --allow-reassignment --region $REGION
>
> We may consider adding such an option to IPaddr2. Has anybody
> ever tried that?
>
>> pingresult=`ping -c 1 -W 1 $VIP | grep time= | wc -l`
>> if [ "$pingresult" == "0" ]; then
>>   echo `date` "-- Restarting network"
>>   /sbin/service network restart > /dev/null 2>&1
>
> That may break the cluster communication, which may lead to split
> brain, etc. Is that really the only way?

It's not the only way, but you do have the problem that the call to aws
management interface is asynchronous, you don't know when it's going to
complete, and until it does, the IP doesn't actually work. During this migration
time there's the possibility that trying to use the address will trigger
problems (but enabling it early and listening shouldn't be a problem)

David Lang