[Pacemaker] Two-node cluster fencing

Timm Bordeman timbo_nospam at web.de
Mon Oct 21 04:28:53 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm building a two-node cluster based on XenServer, Pacemaker and DRBD. All needed resources are configured and correctly handled by pacemaker, but currently I'm struggling with stonith / fencing.

Both physical servers are running XenServer and a couple of virtual machines which are being mirrored. For example, on each servers is an Apache-VM running which share a data partition over DRBD. I configured fencing over XEN, which is restarting any faulty VM reliable, as long as both physical servers are working correctly.

Unfortunately fencing doesn't work when a server that hosts a faulty virtual machine is powered off or not reachable over the network. In this case pacemaker does not promote the DRBD partition on the second / passive virtual machine to the primary partition. Other resources, like the apache server, won't get started. I know that this is an expected behaviour of Pacemaker and DRBD, but I'm not sure what is needed to make the failover reliable even in the case of a completely broken physical server. Fencing by issuing a reboot of the broken server obviously is not an option since the server wouldn't come up due to a hardware defect.

I appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,
Tim