[Pacemaker] crmsh: New syntax for location constraints, suggestions / comments

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.com
Fri Dec 13 05:57:31 EST 2013

On 2013-12-13T11:46:05, Kristoffer Grönlund <kgronlund at suse.com> wrote:

> This worries me as well, however the current syntax for constraints is
> confusing and error-prone.

Right. At least the { } would make it clear to users that it's now a
resource set and not merely more than 2 in the same sequence.

> It would be great to be able to do something
> to make this easier to use, but exactly what it would be is hard to
> say. Making a change that would silently invert the functionality of
> existing configurations is, I agree, not a good idea. However, maybe it
> would be acceptable if a "version: 2" header is required in the
> document to enable the new syntax?

Yeah. It's one of those "I wish we had done it differently" moments, but
I guess we're stuck here.

But another thing we discussed is hiding ids for dependencies by
default, since except for resource objects they really don't matter in
99% of the cases. That would condense the configuration significantly.

> Yet another option is to come up with some entirely new construct to
> supplement colocation and order which does what I think most people
> intuitively expects by default, which is enforces both colocation and
> ordering, so that 'foo depends on bar' means foo will start after bar,
> and only where bar is running.

chain a b c

(specifying the id or a score would be optional; score would default to
mandatory.)

I'm all in favor. ;-) I'd love it if this had backend support (so pcs
could use it too), but if we can't get it, we may just merge colocation
and order internally to crmsh.

Regards,
    Lars

--