[Pacemaker] Debug message granularity

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Tue May 22 18:37:44 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Ron Kerry <rkerry at sgi.com> wrote:
> On 5/22/12 3:33 AM, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>>>
>>> and I see nothing in
>>
>> Which is why I mentioned:

>> There is also PCMK_trace_files.
>> Depending on your version you may also be able to set
>> PCMK_debug=crmd,pengine,... or send SIGUSR1 to the process to increase
>> the log level

> Thanks! I actually have a couple of different versions I am dealing with. I
> will poke through the source for the newest one (SLES11 SP2 ... pacemaker
> 1.1.6) I have and see what I can do. I actually do not have a specific
> problem I am tracking right now. I am just trying to develop a tool kit of
> things to do when one of our customers runs into resource issues.

Makes sense.
FYI: In future versions (1.1.8 onwards) sending SIGUSR1 to a process
(or setting PCMK_blackbox) will enable a logging blackbox.
This is a rolling buffer of all possible log messages (including debug
and optionally traces) that can be dumped to a separate file by
sending SIGTRAP.
If enabled, we also dump it to a file when asserts are triggered.

This provides easy access to copious amounts of debug for resolving
issues without requiring rebuilds, restarts or needlessly spamming
syslog.