[Pacemaker] benefits of cman?

Matthew O'Connor matt at ecsorl.com
Fri May 18 14:26:57 EDT 2012

On 5/17/2012 7:40 PM, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> cman will not become required. In fact, depending on your
> distro+version, it is being phased out and the membership+quorum
> services it had will be provided directly by corosync 2.0. This change
> is starting in fedora and its derivatives with f-17. However, for
> distros+versions that have traditionally shipped RHCS (fedora prior to
> f-17 and existing RHEL/CentOS/EPEL/... releases) it /is/ recommended
> to keep using cman, since it is likely to have had more testing, and
> to layer Pacemaker on top. This is particularly so if you want to use
> cluster file systems such as GFS2, since the utilities they need only
> understand cman. Does this help?
Yes, thank you, that's very good to know!  I'm not certain where
Canonical is headed with their support...I'm considering switching to
either CentOS or openSUSE, so long as they have good kvm/qemu support.
Canonical's most recent Ubuntu Server release has made it difficult to
use OCFS2 without CMAN, while their previous releases seemed to lack a
great deal of CMAN support with regard to Corosync+Pacemaker+OCFS2
(perhaps they didn't compile everything in?).  I was thinking that it
would be nice to not have to convert the OCFS2 cluster stack from pcmk
to cman in the near future, and just go with what will be supported for
the long-term.  Not sure which direction I'll go at this point...still a
little uncertain if OCFS2 would benefit from cman.

By the way, will Pacemaker or Corosync log something to the syslog if it
decides to fence a member?  Will it attempt to fence one that has flat
disappeared, or only one that it has become unable to stop services on?
I ask because I have a node that recently started spitting out
"rcu_sched_state detected stall on cpu..." whenever I'm not around.  The
surviving node recognizes that it has lost contact with this defunct
node, but by that point the DLM and/or OCFS2 is totally hosed and the
surviving node requires a hard-restart.  I guess my hope is that, were
fencing actually working on my cluster, the fence would happen before
the surviving node's DLM/OCFS2 drivers melted down (assuming the real
issue at hand isn't wiping out DLM/OCFS everywhere before the bad-node
is determined offline by the good-node).

>>  Are there any detriments to using
>> cman?
> You saw this one?
>   http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html/Clusters_from_Scratch/_adding_cman_support.html
>
> There is also additional information in:
>   http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6-Beta/html/Cluster_Administration/index.html
The first one, yes.  The second one, no, and thank you - I'll be
perusing it for more knowledge.

>> If I want to add additional nodes to the cluster, will I need to
>> bring down the whole cluster or restart services on existing nodes to
>> apply the new cluster.conf?
> I don't believe so.  I think you need the 'cman_tool join' command.

Awesome - I was hoping it would be that easy!  Thanks for the help!!

--

Sincerely,
  Matthew O'Connor

Sr. Software Engineer
PGP/GPG Key: 0x55F981C4
Fingerprint: E5DC A0F8 5A40 E4DA 2CE6 B5A2 014C 2CBF 55F9 81C4

Engineering and Computer Simulations, Inc.
11825 High Tech Ave Suite 250
Orlando, FL 32817

Tel:   407-823-9991 x315
Fax:   407-823-8299
Email: matt at ecsorl.com
Web:   www.ecsorl.com

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic
message is legally privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure
under applicable law. It is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended
or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete the original message and any copies of it from
your computer system. Thank you.