[Pacemaker] Debug message granularity

Ron Kerry rkerry at sgi.com
Tue May 15 19:37:19 EDT 2012

On 5/15/12 3:58 PM, Ron Kerry wrote:
> I have a cluster running SLES11 SP2 including SLE-HAE-SP2. This includes the following software levels:
> resource-agents-3.9.2-0.25.5
> openais-1.1.4-5.6.3
> corosync-1.4.1-0.13.1
> pacemaker-1.1.6-1.29.1
> pacemaker-mgmt-2.1.0-0.8.74
> pacemaker-mgmt-client-2.1.0-0.8.74
>
> The only way I know to get debug level messages is to set debug:on in /etc/corosync/corosync.conf
> logging {
> #Whether or not turning on the debug information in the log
> debug: on
> }
>
> Is there any way to get more granularity? I would like to get debug level information out of my
> resource agents and perhaps other parts of pacemaker like pengine, crmd and lrmd, but not from
> corosync. Turning debug:on is very noisy, but without doing that it is very hard to troubleshoot
> resource issues in production clusters. Other times I may be troubleshooting membership issues and I
> need detailed corosync messaging. Ideally I would like to be able to set a (potentially) different
> message level for each of the major components of the HA solution but I see no way to do that
> currently. Any advice?

I think I have found the answer to my own question. I had not noticed the logger_subsys directive in
the corosync.conf man page before.

   Within the logging directive, logger_subsys directives are optional.

   Within  the  logger_subsys  sub-directive, all of the above logging
   configuration options are valid and can be used to override the default
   settings.  The subsys entry, described below, is mandatory to identify
   the  subsystem.

  subsys
   This specifies the subsystem identity (name) for which logging is
   specified. This is the name used by a service in the log_init()
   call. E.g. 'CKPT'. This directive is required.

So ... now I just need the list of names used by the various services in their log_init() calls. Is
this easily discovered. Perhaps equivalent to the name printed in SYSLOG immediately following the
hostname in each SYSLOG output line?

Ron Kerry         rkerry at sgi.com