[Pacemaker] How to setup STONITH in a 2-node active/passive linux HA pacemaker cluster?

Andreas Kurz andreas at hastexo.com
Tue Mar 20 13:22:34 EDT 2012

On 03/20/2012 04:14 PM, Mathias Nestler wrote:
> Hi Dejan,
>
> On 20.03.2012, at 15:25, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> As is understood the cluster decides which node has to be stonith'ed.
>>> Besides this, I already tried the following configuration:
>>>
>>> crm configure primitive stonith1_postgres stonith:ssh \
>>> params hostlist="node1"
>>> op monitor interval="25" timeout="10"
>>> crm configure primitive stonith2_postgres stonith:ssh \
>>> params hostlist="node2"
>>> op monitor interval="25" timeout="10"
>>> crm configure location stonith1_not_on_node1 stonith1_postgres \
>>> -inf: node1
>>> crm configure location stonith2_not_on_node2 stonith2_postgres \
>>> -inf: node2
>>>
>>> The result is the same :/
>>
>> Neither ssh nor external/ssh are supported fencing options. Both
>> include a sleep before reboot which makes the window in which
>> it's possible for both nodes to fence each other larger than it
>> is usually the case with production quality stonith plugins.
>
> I use this ssh-stonith only for testing. At the moment I am creating the
> cluster in a virtual environment. Besides this, what is the difference
> between ssh and external/ssh?

the first one is a binary implementation, the second one is a simple
shell script ... that's it ;-)

> My problem is, that each node tries to kill the other. But I only want
> to kill the node with the postgres resource on it if connection between
> nodes breaks.

That is the expected behavior if you introduce a split-brain in a two
node cluster. Each node builds its own cluster partition and tries to
stonith the other "dead" node.

If you are using a virtualization environment managed by libvirt you can
follow the link Florian posted. If you are running on some VMware or
Virtualbox testing environment using sbd for fencing might be a good
option ... as shared storage can be provided easily.

Then you could also do a weak colocation of the one sbd stonith agent
instance with your postgres instance and in combination with the correct
start-timeout you can get the behavior you want.

Regards,
Andreas

--
Need help with Pacemaker?