[Pacemaker] Seeking suggestions for cluster configuration of HA iSCSI target and initiators

Maurits van de Lande M.vandeLande at VDL-Fittings.com
Mon Jul 16 14:53:08 EDT 2012

Hello,

The last couple of months I've been busy on setting up highly available iSCSI targets and using the iSCSI luns in a KVM virtualisation cluster.

The iSCSI targets are setup using pacemaker, drbd, stgt and CentOS 6. Unfortunately I have not had the time to compile and test LIO (linux-iscsi.org) therefore I havn't been able to use SCSI-3 persistent reservation  fencing on the virtualisation hosts. http://linux.die.net/man/8/fence_scsi (lio does support this)

But the iSCSI target clusters with tgt will do.
I have got detailed note's on all the configuration steps to setup a cluster, they contain some information about our internel network and therefore are not suited for public use. (I'm planning to publish a public version of the document so time this year)

I can sent you my configuration document if you would like to see it.

As for the virtualiation cluster. At first I setup a pacemaker cluster but it lacks support for a cluster filesystem to host the virtual machine config files. All VirtualDomains must be "definend" using virsh which means a local copy is stored at /etc/libvirt/qemu on each cluster node. (I just want a single location to store the configuration files)
Therefore a switch to a cman/rgmanager cluster for virtualization.
The VM's use iSCSI lun's for storage and I have setup a GFS2 filesystem to host the VM config files. One drawback of using rgmanager is that when a cluster node shuts down the VM's running on that node are shutdown and restared on a remaining cluster node.
I have written a bash script to live migrate the VM's to the remaining cluster nodes.

the notes on setting up the virtualisation cluster are not completely finished but again, if you would like to see it I can sent it to you.

Best regards,

Maurits van de Lande

| Van de Lande BV. | T +31 (0) 162 516000 | F +31 (0) 162 521417 | www.vdl-fittings.com |