[Pacemaker] Resource fails to stop

Andrew Widdersheim awiddersheim at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 26 12:43:20 EDT 2012

One of my resources failed to stop due to it hitting the timeout setting. The resource went into a failed state and froze the cluster until I manually fixed the problem. My question is what is pacemaker's default action when it encounters a stop failure and STONITH is not enabled? Is it what I saw where the resource goes into a failed state and doesn't try to start it anywhere until manual intervention or does it continually try to stop it?

The reason I ask is I found the following link which suggests to me that after the failure timeout is reached when stopping a resource and STONITH is not enabled pacemaker will continually try to stop the resource until it succeeds:

http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.0/html/Pacemaker_Explained/s-failure-migration.html

"If STONITH is not enabled, then the cluster has no way to continue and
will not try to start the resource elsewhere, but will try to stop it
again after the failure timeout.
			"

I am using pacemaker 1.1.5.