[Pacemaker] STONITH: Avocent PDU ?

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Wed Feb 29 14:16:53 EST 2012

On 02/29/2012 04:58 AM, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with using an Avocent (formerly known as
> Cyclades) APDU with STONITH ?
> http://www.avocent.de/Products/Category/Power_Distribution_Units/PM1000_2000_3000_PDUs.aspx#tab=details_tab_6
>
> I would be a bit surprised if that wasn't the case, as they have quite
> a few methods of being controlled, including a CLI through SSH (smells
> a lot like those devices are actually running Linux inside), as well
> as SNMP, but I prefer to ask before buying :)
>
> This is for Pacemaker on SLE11+HAE: heartbeat 3.0.0 + openais 0.80.3 +
> pacemaker 1.0.5
>
> Thanks!
>
> NB: would be really useful to have a list of known-to-work PDU devices
> on clusterlabs.org
>
> cheers,

With the merger of Pacemaker into Red Hat, I think the Red Hat list of
supported fence devices will cross over pretty well with pacemaker, but
I don't know if it's 100% yet.

I can say that I don't see avocent/cyclades as a fence option in the
fence-agents package though. I see reference to "cylades" in the
fence_baytech agent, but that doesn't seem to apply.

I've written a couple of fence agents, so I can say that it's not too
tricky. If you can query/open/close the ports on the PDU over SNMP, I
can probably adapt a fence agent to work very easily, which you could
test. I need to push an agent to add support for TrippLite PDUs anyway,
so I could do both at once.

If you wanted to try writing one, here is the one I'd recommend using as
a template;

https://github.com/digimer/fence_tripplite_snmp

The main thing to change is the SNMP specific values;

https://github.com/digimer/fence_tripplite_snmp/blob/master/fence_tripplite_snmp#L95

Once that works, it'd just be a matter of renaming the file to something
like 'fence_avocent_snmp' or similar. Pacemaker should be able to use
it, as would rhcs (the later being my forte).

Cheers

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com